Student Careers Education Information
TA Futures is Thomas Aveling’s Careers Education Programme. Whenever you see the TA Futures logo on a PowerPoint, resource, letter etc. you know that the activity/discussion/skills being developed are about preparing you for your future in learning and work.
Right from the start of year 7 all the way through to leaving in year 11/13 you will take part in careers related learning in form times, subject lessons, assemblies, trips etc. You may have visits from guest speakers at universities, colleges, apprenticeship providers, different companies during assemblies and lessons and be given the opportunity to take part in a range of activities or given futures information in a range of contexts.
Examples of TA Futures activities at Thomas Aveling in recent years include:
- Year 7 – A guest speaker from DWP spoke in assembly about the link in skills between school and work
- Year 7 – University of Kent workshops about University campus
- Year 8 – A guest speaker from DWP spoke in assembly about your Digital Footprint and the impact on your future
- Year 8 – University of Kent workshops about what it means to be a student
- Year 8 – Took part in the ‘Step into the NHS’ competition during PSHE
- Year 8 – Options Evening
- Year 9 – Volunteer it Yourself gave an assembly about the positive impact volunteering can have on skills and CVs
- Year 9 – MHS Homes hosted a trade fair for students to learn about jobs in the construction industry
- Year 10 – Work Experience
- Year 11 – Careers Interviews with a Careers Advisor
- Year 11 – Sixth Form Open Evening
- Sixth Form – Local Labour Market Information Workshop
- Sixth Form – University Fair
- Sixth Form – CV Workshops and Drop in Clinics with employers
And there is even more to come as we continue to develop the programme and make contacts to help you to prepare for your future.
If you require any guidance or have any concerns, questions or suggestions please see the Careers Team (Mrs Sanders and Mrs Bushell) in the Careers Office or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students might find the following websites useful for further careers/futures information:
CareersMag – Below are some issues of CareerMag, a magazine with information about different educational or careers sector pathways.