The Business Studies Department is an extremely successful and collaborative team who are always striving to find new ways to engage students, increase their attainment and nurture within them a passion for the subject. This is achieved through the hard work of a highly effective team who work together, support each other and always share new ideas and resources.
As a department, we are keen to develop students’ skills in assignment writing, presentation and independent learning. The department is extremely well resourced with a range of textbooks, programs and online resources to support students’ learning. Each classroom has space to do book work as well as computer based assignments.
It is the aim of the Business Studies department to not only help students achieve academic success, but also to help them to develop an appreciation of the business world and to encourage them to be inquisitive and independent learners, ready for the challenges of future academia. A large percentage of our sixth form students go on to study Business in further education.
Subject Leader: Sam West (email@example.com)
Key Stage 4 – OCR Level 2 National in Enterprise and Marketing
Exam board: OCR
An exciting and rewarding course that covers a variety of real-world business and enterprise topics. Students will complete two course work units based around an engaging enterprise project and then take a general business exam.
- Building Business skills until February half-term
- Start Unit 65 – the business challenge where students plan their own business project and learn about marketing, market research, planning and finance
- Complete Unit 65
- Study the first part of Unit 66 (which completes the project) where students develop their brand identity
- Work towards Unit 64 to complete the exam in May/June. The exam unit covers marketing, finance, developing products and running businesses
- Students will complete Unit 66 by pitching their business project idea and reviewing the project
Key Stage 5 – BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Business (equivalent to 1 A-Level)
Exam board: Pearson
This is an exciting course that covers the major business topics and features a variety of methods of assessment including course work, a set task and an exam.
- Unit 1 – Exploring Business – a general business course work unit covering ownership, stakeholders, factors affecting business and innovation in business
- Unit 2 – Marketing – students will become experts in marketing before the unit culminates in a controlled assessment style set task in May where students apply research to a given task under exam conditions
- Unit 3 – Students will start a finance unit after the set task in May. This unit covers personal and business finance and they will primarily work on this until January when they take the exam
- Unit 3 – continue to study finance unit ready for exam in January
- Unit 22 – Market Research – students complete the course with a very independent short course work unit where they will conduct their own market research for a given task.
BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Business (equivalent to 2 A-Levels)
This is a double course and will cover everything in the single course (extended certificate) as well as the following units:
- Unit 4 – Managing an Event – A fantastic course work unit that builds a variety of skills as students run an event in school after they have learnt about the skills required to be an event organiser
- Unit 5 – International Business – Learners study how UK businesses develop strategies to trade globally. Learners will also consider the factors that influence the implementation of these strategies.
- Unit 6 – This unit enables learners to understand how the role of management and leadership in the workplace contributes towards business success. It is assessed with a set task similar to that in Unit 2
- Unit 19 - Learners study the practical skills and acquire the knowledge needed to undertake the necessary preparation and steps to set up and pitch for funding for a micro-business. This is a great unit to finish the course as it allows students to independently create a business plan for a micro business using skills gained in the other units.